Have we lost something in the way sports are played and is there a way of bringing simple, creative qualities back into our players and teams?
James Vaughan, Head of Player & Coach Development/Head of Football & Coaching Psychology for AIK Football Club, answers this question throughout his 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium presentation. His 55-minute presentation aims to declutter the coach/player relationship by offering insights into coaching improvised plays in a complex system that simplifies the goal for players by ditching confusing jargon.
Clear as mud?
Vaughan’s presentation is not to be taken lightly. It’s a masterclass in navigating the complexities of a team sport, in which he uses examples from the play of the Detroit Red Wings’ Russian Five (Sergei Fedorov, Vladimir Konstantinov, Slava Kozlov, Slava Fetisov, and Igor Larionov), as well as soccer stars Messi and Iniesta. Dr. Derek Cabrera’s Introduction to Complex Adaptive Systems is also used to explain how we can bring simple, creative qualities back into our players and teams.
- More content on The Coaches Site:
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: How a Structured Championship System Help Player Development, with Angelica Lindeberg (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: Why is Talent Development Difficult, with Sergio Lara-Bercial (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: Weekly Preparation Tips, with Cara Morey (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: In-Season Defence Development Program, with Paul Boutilier (VIDEO)
We are sorry this post was not useful for you...
Tell us how we can improve this post?