“When you become a leader, you lose the right to think about yourself first. Always remember that a secure leader makes it about the team or organization. An insecure leader makes it all about himself.” — Gerald Brooks
Well, here we are, the final piece in my ‘Coach to Leader Series’ for The Coaches Site.
As a recap, here are the 5 LEVELS OF LEADERSHIP we’ve introduced:
- Coach to Leader Series: An Introduction
- Level 1 – Position (Rights) – people follow because they have to
- Level 2 – Permission – (Relationships) – people follow because they want to
- Level 3 – Production – (Results) – people follow because of what you have done for the organization/club
- Level 4 – People Development – (Reproduction) – people follow because of what you have done for them
- Level 5 – Pinnacle – (Respect) – people follow because of who you are and what you represent
This, for me has been a real nice way to convey how I feel about the role of coaches and the impact that you should be striving for in the lives of your athletes, both on the ice and off the ice. One is definitely more important than the other, and if you get it right, both will deliver you success.
At the time of writing, we have seen the much mentioned Coach K take his Duke basketball team to the Final Four, before bowing out to North Carolina in the national semi-finals. His legacy is not only the most Final Four appearances by a single coach, or the five National Championships his team has won, it is clearly in the lives of those he has led through his coaching over the past 42 years.
Well, today we delve into John Maxwell’s 5th Level of Leadership – PINNACLE. There is nothing that you can do at this level that makes you a Level 5 Leader. It is what you have done in the previous 4 levels that affords you the opportunity to be given this particular level.
The questions that become pertinent here are: When you are gone, what is the one sentence that you want people to summarize your coaching? What is it that you want to be known for? What is the legacy that you want to leave?
We are sorry this post was not useful for you...
Tell us how we can improve this post?