Jean Côté is a professor at Queen’s University and a researcher in the areas of children in sport, coaching, sport expertise, and positive youth development.
You won’t be surprised to hear that Côté’s 77-minute presentation from the 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium is filled with research and statistics about children in sport, coaching, sport expertise, and positive youth development. Côté supports transformational coaching and how coaches can use it to bring about more impactful development in both players and teams.
It’s not about the result of the game, says Côté. It’s about the four Cs: competence, confidence, connection and character.
“As coaches you want to develop people. You’re there to develop their confidence and their relationship building with others. Those are the things that we know from research that happen through sports, but you need coaches that value these things and work on these things.”
Côté’s outstanding presentation also discusses the indicators of coaching effectiveness, the idealized model of coach/athlete relationships, the Full Range Leadership Model, and the four I’s of Transformational Coaching.
- More content on The Coaches Site:
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium Opening, with Kalle Valiaho (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: Coaching for the Development of Better Hockey Players and Better People, with Dr. Jean Côté (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: Shaping Skilled Intentions, with James Vaughan (VIDEO)
- 2023 IIHF Coaching Symposium: Weekly Preparation Tips, with Cara Morey (VIDEO)
We are sorry this post was not useful for you...
Tell us how we can improve this post?