Forwards line up in the neutral zone on all four blue lines. Defensemen line up inside opposite circles, with one placed at net front.
- On whistle, both corners leave at the same time (one side shown). Coach spots puck behind the net for D1. D1 skates forward to the top of the circle then pivots backwards to the bottom of the circle, shoulder checking to spot the puck.
- D2 supports D1 from net front by dropping down for a D to D pass.
- 01 starts out in the neutral zone in the pattern outlined in support of the breakout. (Post up play can be used as well)
- 02 is the support forward coming across into mid-ice.
- D2 receives an over pass from D1 then proceeds to make a direct pass to 01, with 02 supporting.
- 01 and 02 attack up ice 2 on 0 for a shot on net.
- D2 follows the play up the ice for a pass from Coach, then drags the puck in mid-ice for a shot on net with Forwards in front.
D Options – D Wheel, D Reverse
Practice different breakout options: such as D wheel, D to D and D Reverse
Watch and ensure 02 provides support on breakout
Practice both direct and indirect passes
“This drill was taken from a Book Called “Elite Hockey Development Drills” Published by Barrett Leganchuk.
For more information on the book please check out elitehockeydevelopmentdrills.com”