Forwards must be quick and creative in this drill, which mandates working through tight spaces and finding lanes while a defender attempts to prevent them from squeezing through an open seam.
- Place pylons in pairs to act as a gate to skate through.
- Offensive player X on blue line with puck, defensive player O on hash mark inside blue line.
- Offensive player has to find lane through one of the gates (must skate through).
- Defensive player has to close gap to prevent offensive player from going through gate. Defensive player can’t go through gates.
- Offensive player must be quick, creative and attack lane when opportunity arises.
- Defensive player must close gap, lateral skate, stick on puck – read and react.
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.