Focusing on defencemen, this drill works on developing the fundamentals of a successful retrieval and quick exit out of the zone. Found in our popular Chalk Talk Series, this drill is courtesy of Washington Capitals assistant coach Reid Cashman.
- Coach dumps puck into corner
- D skates forward up to dot, pivots to backward, then continues back towards puck, pivoting again and shoulder checking before going in to retrieve puck
- D surrounds the puck and wheels around net, cutting as close to the post as possible
- After the D comes off the post, pass to the player at the hash marks
- Shoulder checking both sides before retrieval. Act as if there is a player forechecking
- Use net to your advantage, cut it as close as possible
Find this drill in the Marketplace at CoachThem.com!
- See also: