A close variant to the “bump back” drill, the 1-touch neutral zone regroup is a great warmup drill that integrates quick puck exchanges and zone entry pressure from the coaches.
- X1 and X2 lines start at the same time, only one side shown for simplicity.
- X1 skates with puck and passes to X3, transitions back towards their original line, receives a pass and one-touches it back.
- X1 then cuts hard across ice and receives a pass from X4 who has come off the wall and entered the play.
- X1 makes a quick drop pass back to X4, and then opens up for a rush down the ice and shot on goal.
- Note – use coaches in zone to jump into the play and put pressure on the entry.
- After passes, X3 and X4 continue the drill.
- Clean, quick, short passes. Make sure they’re tape to tape.
- Players need to keep their head up throughout and make themselves available to receive and give passes.
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.