The puck support 1 vs 1 is a great drill to work on gap control and stick position for defencemen, and a half-ice overspeed attack for forwards. Additional focus should surround the zone entry, with the defence pivoting above the blue line and attempting to cut the play early.
- See also:
- D start in corner with puck, F on dot outside blue line
- D skates forwards with puck then pivots and skates backwards, forward skates toward defence, then open pivots toward boards giving D a flat passing option. D passes to forward who skates into neutral zone, then regroups and attacks 1 on 1
- Progression – add second forward to make it a 2 on 1. 1 forward towards boards, second forward to middle
- D follows the play and holds a tight gap at the blue line entry
- F should build maximum speed in regroup and attack the line hard
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.