When your team is on a losing skid or behind in a game, what can you do? There are moments in any given game or season, when things are not going to go your way. You have been scored on, outplayed, on a losing skid, and/or your team seems to have lost its momentum. You are behind on the score sheet and/or your team’s overall energy seems to have hit a bottom. All seems lost or is it? Here are 6 things you can do as player or coach to shift the momentum back in your favour:
- Don’t make assumptions – Just because it happened in the past does not mean it will happen again. What you do in the game you are in, will determine the outcome.
- Focus on the moment – Don’t go daydreaming, stay in the present. When we go into horizontal thinking (past or future) we drain our energy. This is energy that we can engage in the moment, with a big play (hit, goal, pass, save, etc.) or decision to affect a change in momentum.
- Be aware of the story teller- What story are you telling yourself about what is happening? Are you the victim (at the effect of) or angry of what is happening it? If so, change the story to one that serves you. What you focus on, you give energy to. Be responsible for the story you tell yourself. You can, because you are the CEO of your mind!
- Be the best you can be – Be the best player or coach you can be in any given moment. Don’t focus on the outcome, focus on the process. Set a goal of being present and engaged in the game you are in. So, even if you lose, you win because you met your goal.
- Don’t blame or judge others – Life happens in life and in the sporting world. Stay connected to your coaches and team mates. You are in this hole together and together you will find your way out.
- Trust the process– Winning often has learning curve. Keep to the game plan. Consider mistakes nothing more than learning opportunities. Go make something happen!
Understanding that as life has its ebbs and flows, so does sports. Your ability to be mindful and choose to assimilate the above six suggestions will help you change the momentum in a game or maybe even end a losing streak.
For more from Walter checkout out his website naturalactioncoach.com
Access to our entire library of videos from our annual TeamSnap Hockey Coaches Conference. You can cancel any time, although after joining a community of coaches from all over the world using the videos on a daily basis to pick up new tips and stay relevant, we doubt you will.
- Walter Aguilar: Building Trust Between Hockey Players & Coaches
- Ten Attributes of An Effective and Mindful Ice Hockey Coach!
- Ten Things You Can Do to Shorten a Losing Streak