The goal of many people involved in hockey is to leave the game better than they found it. In the spirit of that, Todd Woodcroft, Head Coach of UVM Hockey, and Drew Michals, UVM’s Director of Hockey Operations, are helping organize the first ever Vermont Hockey Summit. This summit is free for anyone who wants to attend.
The genesis of this coaching event, which takes place at the UVM campus on Saturday, September 10 from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. ET, was to share ideas with all levels of female and male coaches. “The summit is open to anyone who wants to improve their coaching knowledge and coaches from all skill levels are encouraged to attend,” said Michals. “We have accomplished coaches like Dom Ducharme and Venla Hovi, who have donated their expertise to help coaches learn more about their craft.”
“We are making an effort to support the lifeblood of youth hockey – the coaches,” added Woodcroft. “We’re extremely proud of the speakers taking part in the summit, including NHL coaches, Olympians and area High School coaches.”
It is exceptional to note that half of the presenters are female professionals, including US Olympian and current pro player, Amanda Pelkey. The organizers also made sure to include representation from On-Ice Officials, inviting ex-UVM player Chelsea Rapin to talk about her own Olympic experience as a referee.
“It’s a privilege being able to share experiences with like-minded coaches, and we’ve worked hard putting together a roster of speakers who reflect our principles. This is all about growing hockey in the greater Vermont region and helping young girls and boys by further educating their coaches,” Woodcroft continued. “Personally, I am excited to learn from all the pros we have in attendance.”
Woodcroft is entering his third season coaching the Catamounts, coming off 20+ years in the NHL. In addition to his NHL coaching experience, Woodcroft has coached in a World Cup and seven IIHF World Championships, winning gold with Team Canada in 2004 and Team Sweden in 2017. He most recently won the Bronze Medal as an assistant coach with Sweden at the World Juniors in Edmonton.
Here’s full list of speakers and their topics:
- Chelsea Rapin – My Journey To Officiating In The Olympics (And Lessons Learned Along The Way)
- Alyssa Gagliardi – Skating Fundamentals
- Ivo Mocek – Passing and How to Teach It
- Aaron Bain – Drills for Tryout Evaluation
- Carson Duggan & Todd Woodcroft – Teaching F & D Habits
- Dominique Ducharme – Planning an Effective Practice
- Ashley Salerno – Importance of Puck Support & How to Teach It
- Matt Bain – Return to Play Considerations for Young Athletes
- Cam Ellsworth – Goaltending 101
- Venla Hovi – Development Planning for Your Team
- Drew Michals – The Role of an Assistant Coach
- Former College / Pro Athlete Panel including Amanda Pelkey, Eveliina Mäkinen, Aaron Miller and Jaime Sifers. Moderated by Brady Farkas.
In addition to learning from some sharp hockey minds, each attendee will receive a complimentary lunch (generously provided by Handy Toyota), tickets to UVM Hockey games and drill pads.
We are sorry this post was not useful for you...
Tell us how we can improve this post?