Constraints Led Approach (CLA) is a training/coaching framework. In plain English, this means CLA is a lens through which coaches can train athletes. You can use the constraints-led approach to enhance your coaching.
CLA is based on the idea that movement and performance are guided by boundaries called constraints. There are 3 main high-level constraints:
- Performer – The player and their abilities
- Environment – The space in which the activity is performed
- Task – The game itself
This is the athlete and their abilities. What their athletic capabilities are will constrain them to be able to perform tasks or limit their abilities. Individual constraints include:
- Body Composition & Fitness – Strength, dimensions, flexibility, and aerobic capacity
- Mental – Ability to concentrate, confidence, and ability to read opponents
- Personality – Aggressive vs passive, emotional control, etc.
We are sorry this post was not useful for you...
Tell us how we can improve this post?