The “Pocket”: A slang term used to denote an area on the ice most times referring to the slot. Getting open for a pass in the “sweet” spot in the slot – between the hash marks.
Version B – F1 (facing boards) have to work the boards to find a passing lane to F2 – D1 is playing F1 on the defensive side. – F2 is getting in the OPEN pocket for a quick shot. – D2 (Optional) to play F2 with the stick in passing lane and to be in support if F1 makes it to the net. – This is a quick play with possible rebound. Get set up quickly so Coach can throw a puck back down boards for next chance. 5-8 reps before switching.
Version C – Make it a 3 vs 3.
- “Pocket” man moves around to find the area, far enough from oposition high winger and too far for the netfront defence to go to.
- Corner forward looking over shoulder for “Pocket” man for a quick, hard pass on the tape.
For more drills visit ————> CoachThem
Access to our entire library of videos from our annual TeamSnap Hockey Coaches Conference. You can cancel any time, although after joining a community of coaches from all over the world using the videos on a daily basis to pick up new tips and stay relevant, we doubt you will.
- CoachThem Ice Hockey Drill of the Week – Designated Shooters
- CoachThem Ice Hockey Drill of the Week – 3 vs 2 Zone Battle
- CoachThem Drill of the Week – Narrow to Wide Ice Hockey Passing