This is a small, but effective variation to a standard small ice 3 vs 3 game. The coach, acting as a support player, encourages the players to use the entire zone to create scoring opportunities and also simulates a breakout on the transition.
- See also:
- Drill is set up as shown. Coach will patrol the blue line (can be stationary or move around) and acts as a support player in the game.
- Begins with coach passing the puck to one team, that team is on offence.
- Offensive team should move through the zone, looking to create scoring opportunities, and can use the coach as an extra support player.
- Upon turnover, the defensive team must pass puck to the coach and receive it back to switch to offence.
- Game-like situation; players must play both offence and defence low in the zone, while utilizing the point to create scoring opportunities or simulate a breakout. Players should react quickly to create scoring opportunities off of the transition.
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.