This small area game starts off as 2v2 race for the puck and morphs into a power play-like 4v2 game. The stationary players on the half wall force the offence to create space in a tight zone, while still giving the defence a quick transition outlet to the opposite net. Not to mention, this drill will keep your goalies on their toes and ready for an attack!
- Drill starts with two X‘s and two O‘s on each half wall. X‘s are shooting on red goalie and O‘s are shooting on black goalie
- Coach spots puck in corner, two players from each team jump off line to get puck
- If X retrieves, they transition back to their end and pass to players on half wall — but if O retrieves, they stay on same side and compete 4v2 in the split zone
- Use the point support, these players need to stay on half wall
- Quick transitions from zone to zone
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.