Courtesy of Victoria Royals head coach and GM Dan Price, this drill focuses on puck protection, deception and evasion on offence, and applying the coined “SAACC” technique on defence. It’s one of over 45 drills featured in the 2020 Virtual Hockey Summit Drill E-Book we’ve assembled in partnership with CoachThem. Click here to sign up for the E-Book.
- Coach initiates the drill by chipping the puck into the corner. Coach then activates players; varying placement of players and timing of activation.
- O1 retrieves the puck and uses deception, evasion and puck protection skills to maintain possession between strong side hashmarks and the trapezoid line.
- X1 reads O1 and applies the SAACC technique. The rep ends on the coach’s whistle.
- Coach can vary the puck placement.
- Ensure players take reps both on offence and defence, and on both sides of the ice.
For more great drills like this, visit CoachThem.com.